Spring is my favorite time of year. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and all around me I see green (for Los Angeles that’s nice and temporary). College students can come out of their books and into some fresh air and sunshine – and here are the top 5 destinations for “Gay Spring Break”
- Palm Springs, California – the oasis in the desert is the ultimate destination for great weather, great bars and oh yes the “Palm Springs White Party”. The quintessential gay party pulls in masses of shirtless, buffed and bronzed gay men for an extended weekend of A-list parties and revelry. The acclaimed White Party, which is now headed into its 22nd year, takes place Thursday through Monday, April 5 to April 9, in 2012 and includes a slew of much-anticipated events over three days.
- Key West, Florida – The “Gay Spring Break Key West” is the official celebration in this quirky, historic community that has been a Mecca for gay travelers for over half a century. It’s a great spring break option, and it has a lot going for it – one of the warmest destinations in the country, so even when cooler temps prevail elsewhere in Florida, Key West tends to remain ideal for beach-combing and sunning by the pool. You will find a number of businesses in town offer discounts to participants that show a student I.D.
- The coast of Southern California – from San Diego up through Laguna Beach, Long Beach, Santa Monica (and, by extension, Los Angeles and West Hollywood), Malibu, and Santa Barbara – provides some of the most dazzling scenery in the country. It’s perfect for the traditional road trip, and that’s one style of spring breaking that can be incredibly fun for the right group of friends. The great thing about hopping in the car and spending a night or two in these gay-friendly cities dotting the California coastline is that you can combine partying and relaxation with rugged adventure and memorable sightseeing.
- It’s Vegas Baby! – Sin city is a popular destination for gay college students. It’s easy to get here, as it’s served by virtually every airline with direct flights from all over the country, and it’s within a half-day’s drive of Southern California, Phoenix, Albuquerque, and Salt Lake City. Plus, this year the Palms will be hosting MTV’s Spring Break 2012.
- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico – Puerto Vallarta is quite simply one of the most luxurious Spring Break party destinations in the world. You will find raging day parties and have a blast with the thousands of students that flock to the sunny port side city. The gay friendly Blue Chairs Resort is located on the beachfront just a few short blocks from the center of town and entertainment. You will be in the heart of the gay zone in a luxuriously renovated resort in an elegant Mexican style.